The Great Commission
"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” -Matthew 28:19
On August 11th I will be getting on a plane to Dublin, Ireland and I won't be coming back for at least nine months. Over those nine I will be working with a team of ten other passionate, Catholic, young-adults putting on high-impact retreats for high-school youth all over the country. This sums it up pretty well: http://www.icatholic.ie/videos/net-ministries/ I'll have roughly one-day off a week every week and two weeks of vacation for Christmas, but other than that I'll be running a retreat ultra-marathon. I'm incredibly excited, nervous, and curious about what this adventure holds and I can't wait to get started. But first I have to get there, and that requires a lot of support.
Youth Reaching Youth
During the past six years NET has served many dioceses throughout Ireland, positively impacting the lives of some 30,000 young people. One of the distinguishing features of a NET team is that it is made up of young (18-30 year old) people. It is young Catholics who take up the challenge of presenting the Catholic faith to others in a way that is meaningful to them, allowing them to see God’s relevance in their daily lives.
Young people today are becoming complacent, and many young Catholics are leaving the Catholic Church to go to other churches that they find more inviting. Catholic youth need Good News. They need to hear it from their Church and they need to see its reality experienced and lived out in the lives of their peers. The Second Vatican Council states that ‘young people ought to be the first apostles to the young’ which is what NET ministries is all about.
Following five weeks of training, my team and I will embark on ten months of ministry to the youth of Ireland. Teams present the Gospel message in a clear manner, challenging young people to place God first in their lives and help them develop concrete ways they can grow in their faith. Young people need to hear a clear proclamation of the Gospel. They need to know that God loves them and cares about their lives. They need to know that the Church needs them and that they need the Church.
As a convert to the faith, my life was dramatically changed when, at age 18, I encountered Christ in adoration for the very first time on a small retreat. That retreat, in the summer of 2008, changed my life forever. I had no idea this peace, this joy, existed before, and I want to help spread it to other youth. I’ve spent my four years of college growing dramatically in my faith, attending mass daily, adoration weekly, and learning so much from the strong and loving community I’ve found both at UT and my home parish in San Antonio. I firmly believe that God has gifted me with the passion, energy, talents, and persistence necessary for this particular mission, but I need your support!
I seek your support in the form of prayer. I need people praying for me to give me the courage and strength necessary for this demanding ministry. I also invite you to support me financially. I am committed to raising 6,000 dollars prior to beginning my work with NET Ministries. This money will be used to provide me with a personal stipend, training for youth evangelization, formation in Christian character, countless opportunities to share my faith, food, accommodation, medical cover, pastoral supervision, ministry supplies, and over five weeks of training intensives. Each of my teammates will be raising the same amount.
The sponsorship goal of $6,000 can be achieved if 30 generous people are willing to support me with a monthly donation of $20/month for 10 months or a one-time gift of $200 dollars. If you were able to support me in this way or at any other level I would greatly appreciate the opportunity you are giving me to have an impact in the lives of so many young people. On the side of your screen there should be a button that should allow you to donate, safe and secure, through the internet. If you would prefer not to donate this way, but would still like to help, if you send me your address I can mail you a pre-addressed and stamped envelope allowing you to mail your contribution directly. Lastly if you would be so generous as to pledge your monthly support, I would be more than happy to send you a pledge-card.
Thank you so much for your consideration in helping me with this mission. If you have any questions, want to learn more about NET, or just want to get to know me a little better, please don’t hesitate to call (210-315-4717) or E-mail (lozomike@gmail.com)
Thank you thank you thank you so much for your support and prayers!
No comments:
Post a Comment